Jen Gorman is a scoliosis and spinal fusion patient, advocate, and teacher. She teaches Pilates, yoga, and strength training nationwide for people with scoliosis, spinal fusions, and other back care concerns. She is passionate about inspiring people to live healthier and happier lives!
At the age of eleven, Jen’s ballet teacher noticed an asymmetry in her shoulders. Soon after a doctor diagnosed her with scoliosis and within a year she had spinal fusion surgery. Bone from her right iliac crest fused the thoracic vertebrae (T3-T10) and was secured by a Harington rod.
Jen danced professionally in high school and then attended the University of Notre Dame. She became a Certified Public Accountant and then quickly returned to dancing professionally. Although these experiences differed significantly, her back was sensitive regardless of whether she sat all day or danced all day. She frequently experienced a certain level of discomfort and pain.
Jen began practicing yoga to balance her body from the many hours of dancing. She discovered that yoga combined with other methods of cross training allowed her to manage and all together avoid pain. Eventually, she found her way into a yoga for scoliosis class and then a yoga for spinal fusions class in New York City. These classes brought to light an even deeper understanding of her body as well as the effects of scoliosis and spinal fusion surgery.
Jen is a graduate of Polestar Pilates. Her certifications include the following:
- National Certified Pilates Teacher NCPT
- Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (ERYT-200) with Yoga Alliance
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified Personal Trainer
- Polestar Pilates Adaptations for People with Scoliosis Supporting the Schroth Method Teachings with Hagit Berdishevsky and Lise Stoltz
- Yoga for Scoliosis Teacher Training Program with Elise Browning Miller
- Functional Movement Screen Level 1 and 2
- Chicago Yoga Center Hatha Teacher Training
Jen continues to study weekly in Deborah Wolk’s Intermediate Yoga and Scoliosis class as well as in Hagit Berdishevsky’s Schroth + Pilates class. Jen is proud to be a member, teacher, and founding officer of the highly esteemed Samamkaya Back Care & Scoliosis Collective in New York City.